Saturday 21 May 2011

Belize City

 This is the hostel I stayed at in Belize city, it had a great view of the water. I met lots of interesting people, including a guy who was motor biking from Europe to Africa to South America and ending in Alaska. On the Bus ride over I met a retired army officer who worked with the Canadian military fighting the drug trade.
 This is the Belize national museum made from the old prison, there is even a room where they used to hang people
 This is Frank, he was very aggressively friendly which I should have realized was a bad sign, but he assured me he was well known and wouldent charge to show me around, and so many police officers knew him (he was also a retired police man). He took me out for a beer and then very forcebly asked for 25$ to get a cake for his children. I ended up giving him the money but felt bad about not avoiding the situation. I felt better after I won 20$ in a poker game later that night. Now I have learned to be wary of friendly people in tourist centres
 This is a famous burial containing a large jade skull. It is controversial because the British originally took the skull and many other artifacts back to the British Museum without informing Belize. The museum claims it was returned but some Belizians I talked to think it is a fake. I learned later that the same British expedition used dynamite to clear some of the pyramids near where I am working   
 This is the Governor Generals house of Belize. Unilke in Victoria the GG no longer lives there
This is the best part about Belize; a large chinese population immigrated to many cities in the country and brought with them the best tasting and cheapest food in my opinion

No comments:

Post a Comment